|Artist||W. Scott Pattullo|
|Media||Ink on paper with digital coloring, background and text|
Subject and title
This is one of two separate entries in the "Books into Disney Movies" contest at the Disney-Club at DeviantART. The purpose of the contest was to create a movie poster depicting a book as if Disney had made it into a movie. Following is the description Scott listed on the artwork's DeviantART page:
"Jupiter" is a novel by Ben Bova that I just recently finished reading. It's a story about scientists living aboard a spacestation orbiting Jupiter where they're conducting research on numerous things, including searching for life in Jupiter's endless ocean. They eventually take a ship into Jupiter's atmosphere...which is when the book gets really exciting.
Characters in the poster I've created:
- Grant Archer - (green shirt) - The rookie scientist and main character. He starts out in the lower ranks on the spacestation, but inevitably becomes the triumphant hero.
- Egon Karlstad - (at computer) - Grant's friend and fellow scientist.
- Lane O'Hara - (woman) - Another one of Grant's friends and fellow scientist.
- Dr. Wo - (in wheelchair) - Director of the spacestation. Crippled due to a fatal accident during the first attempt to enter Jupiter's atmosphere.
- Sheena - (gorilla) - Speaks and understands English due to the scientists experiments on her brain. They studied her in order to research communication with other species in hopes of understanding alien life.
If this is made into an animated Disney movie, it would have to be properly adapted for film. For example, taking out the somewhat disturbing surgical procedures before disembarking the spacestation, the hint at adultery, and possibly some of the religious stuff. Other than that, I think it could be made into a fun little sci-fi adventure. I was also thinking, even though Karlstad is sort of a joker in the book, I think the talking gorilla would be more suited for the comic relief. But that's just my opinion.
The characters were drawn by me. The planet background is an actual image of Jupiter. The Disney logo belongs to Disney. The text was inserted digitally. Hope you like!